Ardragh Front St. Patrick's Church, Ardragh

St. Patrick's Church is situated in the townland of Ardragh about four miles from Shercock on the Shercock to Carrickmacross Road. The church is hidden in trees about a hundred yards from the main road near Corvalley Cross.

Ardragh or Ard Rath - a high fort, is an ancient site on which this church was built in 186
6 and consecrated in 1868. The church was endowed by the Shirley family and designed by the architect William Slater of London in the era of the Gothic revival.

The church has many unique features and shows a high quality of workmanship. Of note is the semi circular chancel with its stone roof and three stained glass windows. One depicts Christ the true Vine, the central one depicts Christ the Good Shepherd and the third rather curiously depicts a very traditional Christ the Light of the World with a somewhat modern looking lamp. The rose window above the main entrance, while small, is very beautiful depicting, St. Patrick. It is claimed to be one of the few stained glass windows to include a pig, associated, of course, with St. Patrick's time of slavery in Ireland. All the windows
are by Clayton and Bell of London and were created in 1868 according to Dr David Lawrence in his book, 'The Diocese of Clogher, Stained-Glass Windows', October 2009. Dr Lawrence was obviously highly impressed by his visit to St. Patrick's and speaks in glowing terms about every aspect of the building. The roof has a steep pitch and is timbered and platered in a distinctive manner.
Ardragh Rose
For its small size the church gives a magnificent impression of space and height. In 1881 the parish was joined with Magheracloone and in 1976 was joined with Carrickmacross. Canon Leslie notes that the Parish Registers were destroyed in the Public Records Office fire.

1868 - 1872    Patrick Hastings
1872 - 1881    Alexander Hurst Ross

Main Page Worship Activities Children Teaching
Ministry History Links Churches News